Sunday, April 19, 2009

#7 Diversity


Last week was diversity week on my campus. It was very interesting, because for a few days, I got the opportunity to step outside my own skin an experience something new. Now when people say diversity, I will admit that the first thing that pops into my head is racial diversity. Through living on campus and having the pleasure of being a part of Residence Life, I have slowly had my eyes opened. This week, my campus put on diversity week and I must say I am very very proud of them because they didn't have to. I'm so glad they are making everyone feel welcome.
First up was Boxes and Walls. It was an incredible experience, that really cannot be described without going through it. I had the pleasure of learning about all sorts of religious faiths, some that I did not even know existed. I mean we all, regardless of our spiritual background, know the big 3: Christianity, Islam and Judaism. But there are a lot more that don't get as much press like: the Baha'i Faith, Zoroastrianism, and Wicca. I experienced the Islamic prayer known as Salat. Besides religious diversity, the exhibit also had parts about homelessness, socioeconomic differences as well as hate crimes against people of different sexual orientations. I was really glad I had the good fortune to be a part of this, because I felt like there was so much to learn.
Besides Boxes and Walls, we also had our first university sponsored drag show. It was quite amazing, and had a really good turn out. Here are some highlights: Dominique Cass, Kenya Love, Keira Springs. The show was quite fabulous and I'm glad that so many people showed up. Step out of your skin this week, experience diversity. Don't stifle it. If we were all the same, it would be soo boring.

1 comment:

  1. ...i like it...can i borrow it?...come see what i do with it at globalove think tank.

    ReplyDelete